Why AI defines this Android phone
At the front is the fingerprint sensor, below the display glass—something we haven’t seen in many phones
Not long ago, specifications defined whether a phone would succeed or not. Then the focus shifted to software. Now, it is all about Artificial Intelligence (AI) features. The Honor 10 from Huawei, a more affordable reinterpretation of the flagship Huawei P20 Pro, uses AI extensively to ensure the camera is more effective. In other words, all the photographs are processed by AI-based algorithms.
The gorgeous Aurora Glass finish on the Phantom Blue colour variant reflects different shades when light falls on it at various angles. At the front is the fingerprint sensor, which sits below the display glass—something we haven’t seen in many phones. It works well.
The dual-camera set-up has a 16-megapixel main sensor and a 24-megapixel monochrome sensor working together (both lenses have an f/1.8 aperture). Every time you use the camera, AI works in real-time for object and scene detection. This worked well in the P20 Pro, and it is as effective in the Honor 10. The algorithms work well to identify the scene being framed to apply automatic image processing for better colours and richness. Portrait photographs are processed well. But in some low-light photographs, we did notice that the edges tend to be a bit softer than ideal.
As it turns out, the Honor 10 ticks most of the boxes on the specifications sheet too. Performance is fantastic, with the Kirin 970 processor paired with 6 GB RAM. There is 128 GB storage. The 3,400 mAh battery lasts a day and a half on a single charge. The 5.84-inch display (2,280x1,080 resolution) is bright and rich, though it does miss out on HDR capabilities.
The Honor 10 is by far the best Android phone at this price point. The fact that it is trying to replicate the performance and user experience of its more expensive siblings, holds it in good stead. The timing of launch is ideal with the OnePlus 6 arriving soon.
- Samsung Galaxy A8s launched in China: Specifications, more details on under display camera
- Samsung Galaxy A8s with screen hole design to launch today
- Nokia 8.1 to launch in India today: Expected price, specifications
- Honor 8C to go on first sale today: Price, offers, features
- Apple Watch will send notification if it detects irregular heart rhythm
Editor's Picks »
- Isha Ambani-Anand Piramal wedding to cost $100 million
- ‘No ground at all’ to believe Vijay Mallya faces any risk in Mumbai jail: UK court
- Govt stops foreign funding to 156 NGOs for defying order
- Qualcomm wins import ban against several Apple iPhones in China
- Upendra Kushwaha quits NDA and Union Cabinet, accuses PM Modi of betraying backward classes
- The government has a troubling message for minority shareholders
- Opec-allies’ output cut may not amount to big shift in oil prices
- RBI’s new loan rate math for banks cannot ignore deposits
- Maruti loses speed as PV growth slows amid rising challenges
- Risks emerge for Ramakrishna Forgings, Bharat Forge, Motherson Sumi as heavy-duty trucks face headwinds