2018 Commonwealth Games: Neeraj Chopra wins gold in javelin throw
Neeraj Chopra today became the first Indian javelin thrower to claim a gold medal at the 2018 Commonwealth Games , with a season’s best effort of 86.47m in the final in Gold Coast
Gold Coast: Neeraj Chopra on Saturday became the first Indian javelin thrower to claim a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games, with a season’s best effort of 86.47m in the final in Gold Coast.
The 20-year-old junior world champion had made the final after achieving the qualifying mark in his very first throw yesterday.
Neeraj was favourite for gold here after his 85.94m throw last month at Patiala during Federation Cup National Championships.
The field had been depleted after Olympics and world silver medallist Julius Yego of Kenya failed to qualify for final round, while 2012 Olympic champion and Rio Games bronze winner Keshorn Walcott opted out of the CWG.
This is the biggest moment of his nascent career since the junior world gold, for which he set a record.
- Manchester United expects record revenues despite on-field problems
- Europe punches above its weight in Ryder Cup
- Vinai Venkatesham new Arsenal MD after CEO Ivan Gazidis joins AC Milan
- Virat Kohli, weightlifter Mirabai Chanu recommended for Khel Ratna
- Sachin Tendulkar likely to sell off his stakes in Kerala Blasters
Editor's Picks »
- No excuse for missing aim now, Microsoft announces keyboard and mouse support for Xbox One
- We are changing the narrative by bringing news in a streamable format: Megha Tata
- Facebook, Google to tackle spread of fake news, advisors want more
- Iran says Donald Trump ‘main culprit’ of oil price hikes
- Tata Steel may invest ₹300-400 crore in Usha Martin in FY20: report
- Will it rain on the FMCG parade?
- Why domestic cotton prices are likely to rule firm this season
- India’s dark corporate debt market now loses the flicker of liquidity too
- Jio’s market share zooms after it raises stakes with higher capex
- Tata Steel is not willing to give even an inch on the acquisitions front