CWG 2018: Wrestler Sumit Malik claims 125kg gold at Gold Coast Games
Indian wrestler Sumit Malik claimed the gold medal in the men’s freestyle 125 kg at 2018 Commonwealth Games at Gold Coast after defeating Pakistan’s Tayab Raza 10-4 in a dramatic bout
Gold Coast: Indian wrestler Sumit Malik claimed the gold medal in the men’s freestyle 125 kg after his opponent Nigeria’s Sinivie Boltic was ruled out of the final due to an injury at the 21st Commonwealth Games, in Gold Coast on Saturday.
Sumit defeated Pakistan’s Tayab Raza 10-4 in a dramatic bout.
It turned out to be an pulsating contest as Sumit was leading early on but Raza came back to reduce the deficit to 2-3 after attacking the Indian’s legs.
However, Sumit didn’t allow his rival to dominate as he displayed incredible athleticism, hopping around the mat to avoid stepping outside the bound after Raza once again had grabbed his leg. The Indian counterattacked and eventually won comfortably with a big margin.
Earlier, Sumit made an incredible comeback to win this bout against Korey Jarvis of Canada. Lagging 0-2 initially, the Indian turned it around to make it 3-2 before drawing level at 3-3. In the dying moments, Sumit flipped Jarvis to win 6-4 in the end.
Among others, Rio Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik went down to Aminat Adeniyi of Nigeria 3-6 in a nervous bout to end her golden dreams. She will try for bronze now.
Vinesh Phogat, meanwhile, defeated Rupinder Kaur of Australia in the 50kg freestyle to enter final, while Somveer defeated Australia’s Jayden Lawrence 7-0 for a victory by fall in the 86kg freestyle repechage to go through to the bronze medal match.
- Manchester United expects record revenues despite on-field problems
- Europe punches above its weight in Ryder Cup
- Vinai Venkatesham new Arsenal MD after CEO Ivan Gazidis joins AC Milan
- Virat Kohli, weightlifter Mirabai Chanu recommended for Khel Ratna
- Sachin Tendulkar likely to sell off his stakes in Kerala Blasters
Editor's Picks »
- Kerala govt devises a novel loan scheme for flood-affected households
- Cabinet approves disinvestment of ITDC hotels in J&K, Bihar
- PNB fraud: Mehul Choksi gets time till 30 October to reply to ED plea
- ACs, refrigerators, washing machines to get costlier, import duty hiked on over 19 items
- BJP terms shutdown over death of two students in Islampur ‘complete success’
- Will it rain on the FMCG parade?
- Why domestic cotton prices are likely to rule firm this season
- India’s dark corporate debt market now loses the flicker of liquidity too
- Jio’s market share zooms after it raises stakes with higher capex
- Tata Steel is not willing to give even an inch on the acquisitions front