Mani Shankar row LIVE: Aiyar apologizes to Modi for ‘neech aadmi’ remark
Here are the latest updates and developments from the war of words between BJP and Congress over Mani Shankar Aiyar’s ‘neech aadmi’ remark to describe Narendra Modi
- 6.06 pm ISTMani Shankar Aiyar is mentally not fit: Lalu Prasad Yadav
- 5.46 pm ISTA well-thought Congress strategy, says Arun Jaitley on Mani Shankar Aiyar’s remarks
- 5.35 pm ISTI apologize, says Mani Shankar Aiyar to PM Narendra Modi
- 5.19 pm ISTMani Shankar Aiyar should apologise to PM Modi, says Rahul Gandhi
- 4.58 pm ISTMani Shankar Aiyar’s mindset is feudal, says Ravi Shankar Prasad
- 4.43 pm ISTThey called me ‘Maut ka Saudagar’: PM Modi
- 4.31 pm ISTModi says Mani Shankar Aiyar has ‘nothing but a Mughalai Mindset’
- 4.19 pm ISTLike Cyclone Ockhi , Congress too will not arrive in Gujarat: Modi
- 4.12 pm ISTBJP ensured continuous electricity for Gujarat, says PM Modi
- 4.04 pm IST125 crore people are my high command, says PM Modi
- 4.01 pm ISTOur agenda is development, says PM Modi
- 3.49 pm ISTPM Modi addresses rally in Surat
- 3.41 pm ISTCongress’ only agenda is to oppose PM Modi, says Amit Shah
- 3.21 pm ISTAttempts to erase B.R. Ambedkar’s role failed, says PM Modi
- 2.35 pm ISTRumour campaign shows utter desperation of BJP: Congress’s Ahmed Patel
- 2.25 pm ISTMisinformation campaign by BJP, says Ahmed Patel on poster seen in Surat
- 1.53 pm ISTUproot Congress and make BJP win Gujarat elections: Vijay Rupani
- 1.45 pm ISTYogi Adityanath to address rally in Rajkot
- 1.28 pm ISTDemonetisation was wrong decision, says Manmohan Singh
- 1.24 pm ISTBJP not acting against the corrupt, says Manmohan Singh in Rajkot
- 1.20 pm ISTThe battle for Rajkot-West seat
- 12.53 pm ISTRahul Gandhi to visit Gujarat from 8 to 11 December
- 12.36 pm ISTThe Patel factor in Gujarat assembly elections 2017
- 12.09 pm ISTFormer PM Manmohan Singh will be in Rajkot today
- 11.52 am IST977 candidates, including 57 women, in the fray in first phase of voting
- 11.47 am ISTPM Modi interacts with BJP workers via audio bridge
- 11.30 am ISTRahul Gandhi raises farmers’ plight in his latest tweet
- The last day of campaigning for the first phase of Gujarat elections saw a major controversy with Congress leader Mani Shankar Aiyar and PM Narendra Modi trading barbs over the style of politics done by their respective parties.Aiyar called Modi a “neech aadmi” (vile man), who does “dirty politics”. “He (Modi) is ‘neech kism ka aadmi’ (a vile man) who has no ‘sabhyata’ (civility),” he said, attacking Modi after the latter accused the Congress of seeking votes in B.R. Ambedkar’s name but trying to erase his contribution to building India.Modi, then, at an election rally in Surat, hit back at Aiyar calling his comments “insulting” that represent “nothing but a Mughalai mindset”.Here are the latest updates and developments from today’s campaign trail for Gujarat elections:
- 5.46 pm IST A well-thought Congress strategy, says Arun Jaitley on Mani Shankar Aiyar’s remarks
I think it is a well thought strategy by the Congress, to use filthy language about PM & spread misinformation but when there is public outrage they apologize: Arun Jaitley on Mani Shankar Aiyar pic.twitter.com/9hQaz2Exku— Tv9 Gujarati (@tv9gujarati) December 7, 2017
- 5.35 pm IST I apologize, says Mani Shankar Aiyar to PM Narendra ModiFollowing rebuke from Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi, Mani Shankar Aiyar issued an apology to Prime Minister Narendra Modi for his comments. “I meant low level when I said ‘neech’, I think in English when I speak in Hindi as Hindi is not my mother tongue. So if it has some other meaning then I apologize,” said Aiyar.
I meant low level when I said 'neech', I think in English when I speak in Hindi as Hindi is not my mother tongue. So if it has some other meaning then I apologize: Mani Shankar Aiyar pic.twitter.com/yf5tshB1Vt— ANI (@ANI) December 7, 2017
- 5.19 pm IST Mani Shankar Aiyar should apologise to PM Modi, says Rahul GandhiCongress vice president Rahul Gandhi on Thursday criticised Mani Shankar Aiyar for his remarks and said that he expects the senior leader to apologise to Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Gandhi also said that although BJP and the PM himself uses filthy language to attack the Congress, he doesn’t appreciate the language used by Aiyar against Modi. Aiyar has called PM Modi a “vile man” (neech aadmi). (PTI)
- 4.58 pm IST Mani Shankar Aiyar’s mindset is feudal, says Ravi Shankar Prasad
Mani Shankar Aiyar has called our PM 'neech' but we are proud of our Prime Minister, he has answered (Mani Shankar Aiyar) very politely & sensibly. Aiyar's mindset is a 'darbaari' one: Ravi Shankar Prasad pic.twitter.com/XLc3T1Ryp3— ANI (@ANI) December 7, 2017
- 4.43 pm IST They called me ‘Maut ka Saudagar’: PM ModiStriking back at the Congress and its leader Mani Shankar Aiyar at Surat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi reminded the people how the opposition party has called him names, including ‘Maut ka Saudagar’.“They can call me ‘Neech’- Yes, I am from the poor section of society and will spend every moment of my life to work for the poor, Dalits, Tribals and OBC communities. They can keep their language, we will do our work. I beg to the people of India- please let them be. Let them keep calling me ‘Neech’ we will not respond. We do not have this mindset and want to congratulate them for theirs. If anything- we will answer them for their mindset with our votes on 9th and 14th. Yes, they called me ‘Neech’ but our value systems are strong. We have nothing to say to such elements. Our answer will come through ballot box. We have seen enough insults from them. They insulted me when I was CM. They called me ‘Maut Ka Saudagar’ & wanted to jail me.”
- 4.31 pm IST Modi says Mani Shankar Aiyar has ‘nothing but a Mughalai Mindset’Prime Minister Narendra Modi during the Surat election rally hit back at senior Congress leader Mani Shankar Aiyar who had earlier called the PM “neech aadmi”. Modi described it as “insulting” but also called it as “nothing but a Mughalai Mindset.”Modi further reminded the people of what has been said earlier by Congress and its allies. “What all have they called us: donkeys, Neech, Gandi Naali Ke Keede...the people of Gujarat will give a fitting answer to such deplorable language. You all have seen me- I have been CM and PM. Has anyone had to hold his or her head in shame due to me? Have I done any shameful thing? Then why are they calling me ‘Neech’?”
Congress leaders are speaking in a language that is not acceptable in democracy. One Congress leader, who has studied in best institutions, served as a diplomat, was a Minister in Cabinet, he said Modi is 'Neech.' This is insulting. This is nothing but a Mughalai Mindset: PM pic.twitter.com/9IvKewDPMw— ANI (@ANI) December 7, 2017
- 4.19 pm IST Like Cyclone Ockhi , Congress too will not arrive in Gujarat: ModiPrime Minister Narendra Modi during his election rally in Surat said that just like Cyclone Ockhi, the Congress too will not arrive in Gujarat.The Cyclone Ockhi, which was supposed to make landfall near Surat a couple of days ago, turned into a ‘deep depression’ about 240km from the Gujarat coast in the Arabian Sea.
- 4.12 pm IST BJP ensured continuous electricity for Gujarat, says PM ModiTalking about BJP’s governance achievements in Gujarat at a rally in Surat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that it was his government which ensured the delivery of continuous power supply.“People did not get continuous electricity. When the BJP got to serve Gujarat, we ensured continuous power. The demand for Surat was long pending and it is the BJP that has worked on this. We have provided relief to those who want to buy, make their own homes. Why should every Indian not own a home,” he said.
- 4.04 pm IST 125 crore people are my high command, says PM ModiContinuing his attack on the Congress, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said, “125 crore people of India are my high command. I am accountable to them because they have placed their faith in me.”
- 4.01 pm IST Our agenda is development, says PM ModiPrime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday said that BJP is contesting Gujarat elections over ‘vikas’ (development).“Our agenda is development. Some are asking me—Modi Ji what did you do. Sadly for them, the people are asking them—how did you rule the nation for over fifty years. We had cancelled this rally due to the cyclone conditions but the people of Surat said you have to come today so, as campaign ends I am here among the people of Surat,” he said.
- 3.41 pm IST Congress’ only agenda is to oppose PM Modi, says Amit ShahBJP president Amit Shah is addressing a public rally in Kheralu, Mehsana. Shah declared that the Congress is not having any other point to contest in election than to oppose PM Modi.
- 3.21 pm IST Attempts to erase B.R. Ambedkar’s role failed, says PM ModiPM Narendra Modi on Thursday inaugurated the Dr Ambedkar International Centre in Delhi, and then took potshots at his political rivals. “Baba Saheb Ambedkar’s contribution to nation building is very important, there had been attempts to undermine his role, but such attempts were unsuccessful. He has been more influential in the minds of people, much more than the family for which all this was done.” (ANI)
- 2.35 pm IST Rumour campaign shows utter desperation of BJP: Congress’s Ahmed PatelCongress Rajya Sabha MP Ahmed Patel on Thursday said BJP orchestrating a rumour campaign for Gujarat elections shows the utter desperation of the party.Fearing defeat, do they have to rely on such dirty tricks (putting up fake posters)?” said Patel. He, however, ruled out to being the chief ministerial candidate of the Congress in Gujarat. “I have never ever been a candidate for CM and will never, ever be.”
- 2.25 pm IST Misinformation campaign by BJP, says Ahmed Patel on poster seen in SuratCongress leader Ahmed Patel responds on poster seen in Surat: “This is a misinformation campaign by the BJP as now they know they are going to lose. I was never the CM candidate and neither will I ever be.” (ANI)
Poster seen in Surat calling for Muslims to unite and support Congress for Ahmed Patel to be made 'Wazir e Alam' of Gujarat pic.twitter.com/W2w3GBLQT9— ANI (@ANI) December 7, 2017
- 1.53 pm IST Uproot Congress and make BJP win Gujarat elections: Vijay RupaniGujarat CM on Thursday exhorted people of Gujarat to vote for the BJP in the forthcoming elections, and rebuked the Congress for their inaction on the flood situation in Banaskantha earlier this year. He was speaking at a rally in Malan, Palanpur.
' #Congress didn't understand your pain during flood, #BJP gave 1500 Cr to stand #Banaskantha up again, Uproot Congress and make #BJP win this election'-CM @vijayrupanibjp at Malan #Gujarat #GujaratElection2017— Tv9 Gujarati (@tv9gujarati) December 7, 2017
- 1.28 pm IST Demonetisation was wrong decision, says Manmohan SinghFormer PM Dr Manmohan Singh in Rajkot reiterated his stand that demonetisation has been proven wrong decision for the nation. Singh also said that each community is unhappy with the BJP government. He also said that the Congress has a special vision for Gujarat. (Tv9 Gujarati)
- 1.24 pm IST BJP not acting against the corrupt, says Manmohan Singh in RajkotFormer Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh in Rajkot: “To equal the UPA’s ten-year average, the economy will have to grow at 10.6% in the fifth year, I would be happy if it were to happen but I frankly do not think it will.”On corruption within the Congress and BJP, Singh says, “Whoever faced corruption allegations during UPA was dealt with strictly, but the same cannot be said about BJP, they have not acted on corruption in their rule.”On Narmada issue, Dr Singh says, “Modiji says he took up Narmada issue with me but I don’t remember him talking to me about this issue, though whenever he wanted to meet me I never refused,was always ready as being PM it was my responsibility to meet all CMs.”
- 1.20 pm IST The battle for Rajkot-West seatGujarat chief minister Vijay Rupani is facing tough challenge from Congress’ Indranil Rajyaguru in Rajkot-West seat, which is considered ‘safe’ for the BJP. Read more
- 12.36 pm IST The Patel factor in Gujarat assembly elections 2017This year’s Gujarat elections is the first time the Patel community has split so starkly and that this has the potential to disrupt the state’s politics. The community, which accounts for nearly 12% of the state’s population, was once instrumental in the BJP’s rise in Gujarat in the early nineties, after the Congress alienated them. Read more
- 11.52 am IST 977 candidates, including 57 women, in the fray in first phase of votingA total of 977 candidates including 57 women are in fray from 50 political parties as well as independents. Polling will take place across 24,689 polling stations. Read more
- 11.47 am IST PM Modi interacts with BJP workers via audio bridgeOn Thursday, PM Modi interacted with the scheduled caste (SC), scheduled tribe (ST) members and members from coastal areas via audio bridge in which will hear their concerns on Cyclone Ockhi.
At 10 AM today, will interact with @BJP4Gujarat SC, ST Morcha Karyakartas and Karyakartas belonging to coastal areas of Gujarat. At 11 AM will inaugurate the Dr. Ambedkar International Centre and will then go to Surat, where I will address a rally.— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) December 7, 2017
- 11.30 am IST Rahul Gandhi raises farmers’ plight in his latest tweetAsking his 9th question in the ‘question a day’ series, Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi asked, “Neither loan waiver, nor remunerative price for produce, neither received crop insurance benefit, nor were tube wells installed.” The Congress leader also used the ‘Gabbar’ jibe to target the prime minister “Agriculture hit by Gabbar Singh, land snatched and the (Ánnadatta) farmer was rendered useless. PM sahib should explain why such step-motherly treatment with the farm labour,” he also said on Twitter.
22 सालों का हिसाब#गुजरात_मांगे_जवाब— Office of RG (@OfficeOfRG) December 7, 2017
प्रधानमंत्रीजी- 9वाँ सवाल:
न की कर्ज़ माफ़ी
न दिया फसल का सही दाम
मिली नहीं फसल बीमा राशि
न हुआ ट्यूबवेल का इंतजाम
खेती पर गब्बर सिंह की मार
छीनी जमीन, अन्नदाता को किया बेकार
PM साहब बतायें, खेडुत के साथ क्यों इतना सौतेला व्यवहार?
- Reliance Jio seen overtaking Vodafone Idea, Airtel to become India’s largest telecom firm by 2018-end
- ArcelorMittal’s Essar Steel acquisition: Who wins, who loses
- UltraTech’s dismal Q2 results darken outlook on cement sector
- NBFC liquidity crisis set to worsen real estate sector woes
- RBI pause on interest rate hike may last only till December