India among the hardest hit by protectionism
Among the largest economies in the G-20 group, China, the US and India have been hit the hardest by protectionist measures in 2017, according to data from the Global Trade Alerts (GTA) database. Among emerging economies, China faced the greatest number of protectionist interventions in the past year, followed by India. Recent developments—including US tariff actions against India—suggest that India could be hit hard by the growing tide of protectionism in the coming months as well. India was affected by protectionist interventions implemented largely by rich economies, the data shows. Within the G-20 club, fellow emerging economies have been less unkind to India compared to the advanced economies.
- Kerala govt devises a novel loan scheme for flood-affected households
- Cabinet approves disinvestment of ITDC hotels in J&K, Bihar
- PNB fraud: Mehul Choksi gets time till 30 October to reply to ED plea
- ACs, refrigerators, washing machines to get costlier, import duty hiked on over 19 items
- BJP terms shutdown over death of two students in Islampur ‘complete success’