After Flipkart deal, Walmart India looks to scale up kirana store business
Walmart India has been piloting Mera Kirana over the past four years and now wants to make it part of its mainstream business. Under Mera Kirana, Walmart creates zones in its Best Price wholesale stores that are designed to resemble a modern kirana store. Another tactic that Walmart is experimenting with in India is fulfilment centres. Walmart bought a 77% stake in Flipkart for $16 billion earlier in May. It plans to open 50 new Best Price cash and carry stores. It currently operates 21 of these in the country.
- #10YearChallenge: The meme game that’s taking the Internet by storm
- Theresa May government faces no-confidence vote after Brexit defeat
- US retailer Sears saved from the brink for time being: reports
- Sabarimala row: After the Left’s lakhs-strong ‘Women’s Wall’, the Right’s to rally lakhs of pro-ban supporters in Kerala
- MoS Railways Manoj Sinha demands more power for RPF