Why the new US steel tariff could affect Indian steel companies
India ranked 10th in steel imports to the US in 2017, but it recorded the highest growth in this leading set of countries and drew the third-most instances of penal duties
- India seen leveraging Solar Alliance meeting for foreign policy
- Climate change to affect India’s renewable energy plan: Study
- Mobile wallet transactions fell sharply in March
- 5G rollout in India: Panel bats for early release of spectrum for R&D
- 5G panel identifies 6,000 Mhz spectrum as available for next generation mobile service
India ranked 10th in steel imports to the US in 2017, but it recorded the highest growth in this leading set of countries and drew the third-most instances of penal duties.
US steel imports by country
In calendar 2017, India was the 10th largest importer of steel in volume terms to the US, accounting for 2.2% of 34.5 million metric tonnes. And the US accounted for about 5% of India’s steel exports.
Growth in US steel imports in 2017
India might have been ranked 10th, one spot above China. But in this set of top 11 steel importers to the US, India grew the fastest by a long way, more than doubling volumes between 2016 and 2017.
US trade remedies in effect against steel mill imports
Even before this new steel tariff, the US had imposed additional duties on steel imports from some countries. In this set of 11, the number of such duties slapped on India was the third-highest, after China and South Korea.
howindialives.com is a database and search engine for public data
Editor's Picks »
- Telangana panchayat poll a key test for Congress before 2019
- Govt ends Kashmir ceasefire, says anti-terror operations will resume
- ‘2+2’ talks: India, US look to insulate strategic ties from irritants
- Manohar Parrikar’s return raises hopes of solution to Goa mining ban
- AAP standoff with L-G Anil Baijal spills on to Delhi streets