Sun Pharma unit files patent case against German firm
DUSA has also alleged that the Germany-based Biofrontera improperly obtained confidential information from former employees
New Delhi: DUSA Pharmaceuticals, a unit of Sun Pharmaceutical Industries, has filed a trade secret misappropriation and tortious interference claim against Biofrontera Inc. in the district court of Massachusetts, the company said in a statement.
The lawsuit alleges patent violation of topical solution Levulan, and Kerastick. DUSA has also alleged that the Germany-based Biofrontera improperly obtained confidential information from former employees.
The lawsuit seeks an assessment of both damages and injunctive relief against the Biofrontera defendants. The patents-in-suit concern an apparatus and method for “photodynamic therapy” (or “PDT”) and equipment for PDT. The photodynamic therapy, pioneered by DUSA, combines a drug with a light source to treat disease conditions.
The product was launched by DUSA, in September 2000 in the US. DUSA’s Levulan combination therapy is approved by FDA for treatment of non-hyperkeratotic actinic keratoses or AKs of the face or scalp.
Editor's Picks »
- VMware: Taking the smart cloud to where data resides
- Internet of Things (IoT) startups that improve efficiency
- Regional languages give Indian startups a voice of their own
- DHFL, IL&FS aftermath: RBI and Sebi join hands to calm volatile markets
- Narendra Modi launches Ayushman Bharat scheme from Jharkhand’s Ranchi
- India’s renewable energy sector hits a milestone but loses speed
- All eyes now on share swap ratio in this mega bank merger
- Jet Privilege can actually get higher valuation than Jet Airways
- Profitability of cement firms to take a hit due to weak prices, high costs
- Pidilite’s shares hold their ground despite weak rupee and rising crude